Thursday, November 10, 2011

G

G.. Grief perhaps is where I am going to go, I know I blogged not long ago it was a post for a friend mostly, but here we go again.  Grief is really rather daunting when you think about it, it can consume us, it can over whelm us, dealing with it in "healthy" ways can be good for us.  Everyone at some point in their lives  most likely will or has already experienced it.  There are many reasons  for grief, and it is as individual as  people are.  I think back to last year, one of my twins lost a class mate, he was 9 years old, lost too soon in a farming accident.  This time I could help my son express his feelings better I believe than I could when he was 4 and his father passed away.
He still even a year later will suddenly say something about his lost  friend, just every now and then a memory will pop in his head and he  tells me... it makes me smile a lil knowing he seems able to express  his thoughts rather than bury them.  When I was a much younger person , and I woke one morning to find my 2nd child dead in her crib, nothing could have ever prepared me for that grief, however as time went on I became a parent to parent contact and helped other parents  get through the tidal waves of emotions that crash into you, I even went on to do public speaking on the subject of dealing with parents after the loss of a child.  At the time these outlets helped me heal as much as it helped others I believe.  Years passed, and then you begin to lose others... father in law, mother in law, husband, father.  Grief I believe is what you make of it, my own father said to me  when i called him  to break the news  of my daughters passing.. he said "Do not sit down and let others do for you, get up , get moving, if you crawl into that hole you wont ever come out!"  It may sound harsh to some, but he knew what I needed to hear and I still remember and thank my lucky stars he was intuitive enough to say it.  I have dealt with grief while working as a volunteer on our community ambulance, families  sometimes throw misplaced grief in the form of anger at you, it happens.  As a nurse working with the elderly again  grief was all around either the resident themselves or the family .  So.. now that I have babbled on and on and on...I'm gonna stop and close this rather lengthy and  probably depressing post thank goodness tomorrow is the letter H!? And leave you with a song for my Dad.



No comments: