Tuesday, November 8, 2011

E....

E.. education comes to mind foremost.
Education starts at home they say and I firmly believe that.  Parents, grandparents and others teach a child early on, right from wrong, values, morals, beliefs. Children learn from  everywhere in a sense, summer camp, church if they go, their friends and so on.  Then they go to school, and begin to learn from teachers, those we pay and entrust with teaching  them the things they need to learn.
When I was a volunteer paramedic, people used to tell me that it took a special person to do what I and the other crew members did, and perhaps that is so, but I think it takes a special person to teach and teach well.  The rewards I believe, at least for me, were not monetary[lol we didn't get paid to teach the  1st responders], they were instead the feeling of accomplishment when a student "got" a hands on technique, such as stopping bleeding or applying mast pants. Or the tears of joy of a family member when a patient was saved or transported to the hospital.
There are teachers and then there are TEACHERS.  The skill of teaching from the book is simple enough, but the skill of making a child pay attention, to awaken their minds and senses to something new, to make them understand, that's a TEACHER and a rather amazing thing.  When I sit down with my boys I am often amazed  and humbled by these teachers who take a class of 25 10 year olds and teach them, no easy task.
So now that I have rambled on and on I will leave you with yet another old video :)

No comments: