Thursday, June 19, 2008

Imitation = Flattery?


Theft.... RL.. SL it's still theft. And it bothers me... I have known people in SL... and no i wont be naming names... who take a demo skin for instance...and take it into photo shop... doctor it then turn around and hand it out... or take pictures of clothing and again recreate it in photo shop... now... while they may not be making lindens off this.. they are still in fact stealing.... even giving it away is taking away from the person who created it. I wish I had even an ounce of the talent of some in SL... Akasha. from Catnip....Serenity Peart... Prad Prathivi.. DE ..Shenandoah.. Guen.. Damian and Elena.. oh my goodness the list could go on and on... They say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it makes me angry when I find someone selling copies of their work. I personally believe when you see something like this you should IM the person whose item it was originally and show them... they deserve to know that someone is selling a "knock-off" of their hard work. To some of you it may seem that designers make a killing in sl... well maybe some do... but some also make a RL living from it... now figure lindens into dollars and they are not making as much as you think... and....it just doesn't matter... stealing is stealing plain and simple..and I know some of you will say geez Mir...whats the big deal? or People make entirely too much over this stuff....well guess what.. maybe they don't take it serious enough, so that's my gripe for the day.. well actually it's an ongoing one. And I wish there was a easy answer on how to stop it... but I am afraid there just isn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Mir - content theft in SL is rife and too many of our hard hours, days and weeks of work to improve the SL experience is being ripped off.

IP Protection in SL can never have enough coverage - thank you for this.. =)